Friday, September 9, 2011

THE SUCCESS PRINCIPLES by Jack Canfield

Rating: ✰✰✰✰✰

Subtitle: How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be 


You must read this book if... 

• you hate your job 

• you are already tired of repeated rejections 

• nothing in your life seems right 

• everyone discourages you from your goal 

• you want to embark on a new pursuit but you are being stopped by your own fears 

• you want to achieve your ideal weight 

• you want a significant increase in your income 

• you want to be respected by everyone 

• you want to discover the secrets to being successful 

In The Success Principles, Jack Canfield, cocreator of the bestselling Chicken Soup for the Soul series, shares with us the 64 timeless principles used by successful men and women throughout history. Canfield said he has studied these success principles and has applied them in his own life. He attributes his phenomenal level of success to his day in and day out application of these principles since he began to learn them in 1968. 

Canfield wrote The Success Principles to teach people how to increase their confidence, overcome life's daily challenges, live with passion and purpose and to inspire and motivate people to live the life of their dreams -- to get from where they are to where they want to be. He claims that, just like him and his students, all people can achieve breakthrough success if we work the principles taught in this book. 

Like Jack Canfield's other books, all the ideas and principles in the book were presented in a very organized manner, well-explained and were supported with facts, evidence and research. The principles were also vouched by quotations and inspiring stories of successful people, which made the book successful in its pursuit to motivate people into action. 

My thoughts... 

I had long been wanting to write a review of this book but had always been stalling myself. I so love this book that I wanted to give it the best review that I could possibly give. This is one of the books that have greatly influenced my life, along with The Purpose-Driven Life and Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus. As a book potato, my friends always turn to me for opinion regarding which books are good to buy or give away as a gift, and every time I would always recommend this book to them. It is a fail-proof gift to everyone, men and women alike, especially when you have no idea which kind of books a person enjoys reading. 

Because Jack Canfield shared in this book the timeless success principles, reading this book was like reading all the self-help, success or motivational books out there. I read a lot faster than the average reader but it took me four months before I was able to finish reading this book. It wasn't because the book is 473-page thick, but because after reading a single chapter, I would already feel my head aching because of information overload. I had no choice but to stop reading, otherwise I wouldn't be able to get the most out of the book. 

The book had cost me much, but every single cent I had paid for it was well compensated with lots of useful information that literally changed my life. When I was reading The Success Principles, it was as if I was standing face-to-face with the most successful people who ever lived while they were telling me their secrets. This book taught me to stop complaining and blaming others about my luck of success but instead take 100% responsibility for my life. I learned that I can have everything I want to have and be everything I want to be if I will just believe and take action. I became a new person after reading this. It helped me improve not only the financial aspect of my life, but the spiritual, personal and relationship aspects as well. 

I am utterly grateful that I came across The Success Principles and I really hope everyone would also have a chance to read this. The principles taught in this book are worth millions. 

Just some of my favorite lines from the book...

• You will never become successful as long as you continue to blame someone or something else for your lack of success. If you are going to be a winner, you have to acknowledge THE TRUTH -- it is you who took the actions, thought the thoughts, created the feelings, and made the choices that got you to where you now are. It was you! 

• THINK ABOUT THIS... people only complain about things they can do something about. We don't complain about the things we have no power over. 

• The circumstances you complain about are, by their very nature, situations you can change -- but you have chosen not to. 

• Have you ever noticed that people almost always complain to the wrong people -- to people who can't do anything about their complaint? They go to work and complain about their spouse; then they come home and complain to their spouse about the people at work. 

• Learn to replace complaining with making requests and taking action that will achieve your desired outcomes. That is what successful people do. That is what works. 

• If you find yourself in a situation you don't like, either work to make it better or leave. 

• Don't wait until you are 63 to decide that you can do anything you want. Don't waste years of your life. Decide that you are capable of doing anything you want and start working toward it now. 

• So although education and a commitment to lifelong learning are essential to success, a formal degree isn't a requirement. 

• The trick is to realize that whatever you are going through now is going to turn out better in the future as well... The more you begin to look for the good, the sooner and more often you will find it. And if you take the attitude that it is coming, the less upset and discouraged you'll get while you're waiting for it. 

• Money, cars, houses, boats, attractive spouses, power and fame can all be taken away -- sometimes in the blink of an eye. But what can never be taken away is who you have become in the process of achieving your goal. 

NOTE: These are just a few lines from the book's first 60 pages (out of 473). If I won't stop myself now from enumerating my favorite quotations, this list will keep going on and on... 

♥ ♥ ♥ 

You are my God. Show me what you want me to do, and let your gentle Spirit lead me in the right path. - Psalm 143:10 CEV

No comments:

Post a Comment